Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Ahhh! The Emerald Isle

That's right Ireland!  I was so fortunate to have get to attend our company conference in Dublin, Ireland.  

The past month has been a whirlwind getting ready for a week in Dublin.  I flew out Saturday morning, August 3rd to arrive Sunday morning August 4th.  The redeye was a bit rough on this old woman I am here to tell you.  There was 10 in our group,  about 45 from our facility, with a total of almost 600 from the rest of the company.  It was awesome.  

After we landed Sunday we spent 3 1/2 hours in line to clear Irish Customs.  OMG, that was a long wait.  Then, we caught a bus to the City Centre and walked down Grafton Street to our hotels.  Dropped off our suitcases (our rooms wouldn't be ready until late afternoon) and started walking.  Dublin City Centre is so friendly and easy to get around.  

Molly Malone statue with a leprechaun for good measure.
After a couple hours walking around we went into a small pub for lunch.  We ordered fish and chips.  OMG, it was so good.  Walked around a little more and then stopped for some gelato (again yum!!!).

Stop at a pub for fish and chips.

Monday morning was more free time and a whole lot more walking.  I must admit that I fell in love with Dublin.

The conference kicked off Monday evening in an old warehouse that was staged to be an old Jameson Irish Whiskey warehouse.  The tables were picnic style with wooden blocks that they placed wooden trays of food on to serve fried scallops, BBQ ribs, sausage, sliced beef, and corn-on-the cob.  There was an Irish drum band and then an Irish band.  I loved the drummers and the Irish music was awesome.  Then, the rock band started and my ears have yet to recover.

Museum of Modern Art
Tuesday started the conference and went through Thursday.  Tuesday night dinner was in the Royal Hospital Kilmainham that is now the Museum of Modern Art.  It was an awesome evening but the meal lacked a bit.  The main course was lamb and I discovered that I am not fond of lamb.     

The grounds were spectacular.  

Even had a couple Rolls Royce cars for a bit of class!!!

Wednesday evening was at  another empty building that was staged.  That night we lucked out as they served hamburgers.  Awesome!  I really needed just regular food after the night before.
Thursday night was Dylan Fest at the Academy.  This was a tribute to Bob Dylan by a lot of bands.  It was okay but not my thing.

Each night the buses didn't start running until 11:30 until 2:30 am. I am here to tell you 11:30 was too late for me but I made it.

Friday was our flight home and in order to make sure that I didn't miss my flight I was up at 4:00 am to catch a 5:30 bus to the airport.  From Dublin was an hour flight to London Heathrow Airport for a 2 hour layover and then a 9 1/2 hour flight to Dallas, where we would have to clear US Customs.  And the challenge was we would land at 5:30 and have to catch a 6:35 flight for a little over an hour to get through customs, pickup our luggage, recheck our luggage, clear security again, and then make our flight.  

You guessed it we missed our connection.  But, we got booked on the next flight leaving at 8:55 pm.  Well, storms rolled in and delayed take off.  With the storms in the area the plane flew to Texarkana then up to Fort Smith.  We hit the runway at 10:10 pm for a grand total of me being up for 24 hours (Ireland is 6 hours ahead of us here in central time zone).  I was so tired by the time I got home.

Saturday was a real challenge as I was exhausted.  It seriously felt like I had had a couple drinks and was just starting to get a buzz....the kind of felling where your eyes don't feel like they are working in unison but sort of going in different directions.  

But, I survived and got to spend the better part of a week in Dublin, Ireland.  Whooo hooo!!!!

Okay, back to the real world.

I will go through the over 250 photos that I have and select some to post a little later.

Travel safe everyone!
The Arkansas Travelers


  1. Oh wow, sounds like a really cool trip! How lucky for you to have gone to Ireland! Looking forward to the pics. I spent several hours a few weeks ago at Hobby Airport, then had to drive over to Houston Intercontinental to catch a flight! They were over booked at Hobby. That was a long day too - around 12+ hours sitting in airports. Ugh!

    1. Cyn, so glad to see your post today.

      Airports and airplanes wear me out. And the flights overseas are way to long as I cannot get comfy and I am so stiff when I finally get to get out of those tiny little seats.

      Still trying to catch up on everything. I need to post more pictures so I can log the details before I forget where I took them.

      I sure hope your foot is healing as it should and that your very long ordeal will be coming to an end soon and with a good ending.



About Me

My photo
My DH and I are looking toward the future when we are able to retire and RV full time. This blog is to track the progress toward that goal and to track things, such as our "Bucket List's," so that we don't forget any of them.